The Friday E-Mail Extravaganza

Friday, May 20, 2005

The Friday E-Mail - Leaving Day Special

Well, what can I say? No, really, what can I say?

At long last, Thursday came and went, and seven years of our lives just went into the history books. After coming to ‘The Fun Factory’ on Chorley New Road day after day, week after week, term after term for the past seven years, making friends, making more friends and then making even more friends. Almost half our lives so far came to a close, and, I was determined to do it in some style, at least.

It all started waiting for the bus in the morning, as a drive-by water-pistol shooting gunned down our bus stop, and the three stops before us under cover of G. W. Bush masks! The fun had very much begun!

Getting on the coach, perhaps one of my highlights of my time at school was the morning bus journey, we were greeted by hooters, streamers, masks, party hats, bow ties, a beautiful chocolate cake and a banner reading “Coach of 2005”. We were all on for once and we were all in the spirit of the occasion, as six of us started Leave of Absence, and it would be the last journey for four of us. Photos galore were taken, cake eaten and a great time had by all. We can only try and thank Sarah and Joanne for their efforts put into organising it, it was the best parting shot we could have, and the tidiest we’d ever left the bus!

I got some funny looks walking into school that morning; I can’t blame them though, as I was still wearing my hat and bow-tie, carrying my hooter in my hand too.

For a reason which I can’t suite understand, we were stood outside the form room ‘for old times sake’ but we soon went in and got final preparations for Dr T’s present underway. These we presented to her after the numerous form photos were taken at the entrance doors, and she was slightly overwhelmed by it all, which is always good to see.

Maths first two, our last with Mr Palmer, was one half a game of tanks whilst presenting him with his survival certificate, Parma Violets, Worms Armageddon, a much needed Book of Wit, The Utterly Pointless Counting Book (1: One pigeon, surrounded by many other pigeons!) and his new coffee mug with ‘I love my Further Maths set’ on one side and ‘Thank God they’re gone’ on the other. A fitting touch, with a quote of ‘Even though I’ve only been here less than a year, you’ve made me feel like I’ve been here for 50’, teaching us definitely took its toll on him.

My last morning break was taken over by our Collection for Carol, and I rattled my tub around the room countless times, raising £25 and a Dollar (courtesy of Pete) to buy her the huge box of chocolates that she deserved for serving us with cheap coffee and toast for so long. It was massively appreciated.

Next two, maths again, we actually did some work and some double and even triple integrations, which was fascinating it not confusing.

Lunch, and as my book started to get ever more full with countless signatures from so many people, it was fantastic. Lunch, seeing as it was our last, was disappointing, but wasn’t too bad, and we had many a toast and a raised glass for the celebrations to continue.

Next two, we sat back and watched Blackadder with Mr Cairns, with the latest rasterbation on the wall a collage of so many weird and wonderful pictures, it couldn’t be surpassed or explained. Words simply aren’t enough, sometimes.

Final afternoon break, and it was a mad dash to give Mr Palmer his bottle of wine and present Carol her chocolates and a cad signed by so very many people there was no room left when we sealed he envelope.

Last two periods were odd, to say the least, with my violin lesson taking me away from the main group, so I didn’t know what to do period 8, so wandered aimlessly for a while, before going over to the Girls’ Div Common Room for the last time to sign Helen’s book.

The bus journey home was a laugh, as I walked up and down the aisle getting my book signed by all who wanted to and then some. Getting off, I was so close to breaking down, as everyone cheered me off the bus crying ‘Bye Paul!’ like they’d done before, but never to the same volume. To see the majority of the bus waving down to me as it drove away, I couldn’t wave enough or as much as was necessary, and it spelt the end to such a bizarre yet fun last school day.

The evening out, drinking down at The Lion, was stupendous. We had lots to drink, once we’d chased each other around the bar areas a few times (and that was before any of us had a drink!). After the games of pool rounded off, we staggered down Chorley New Road, singing loudly ‘It’s the end of the world as we know it’ or other random chants and the likes. Calling it a Sou’s chippy before eating our chip barms in a bus shelter cowering from the rain was an excellent idea. Then, it was onwards to Mr C’s house to crash out for the night after watching a little TV, a fantastic end to such an amazing day, where we all had such a good laugh, rather than being all alone. The group will live on for much longer yet!

It may well be the end of the world as we know it, but bizarrely, I feel fine!

4 Comments:

  • I'll have to say, though, that my closing shot in C4 was writing, 'So long, and thanks for all the fish' on the board. Random, I know, but fun all the same! Honest.

    By Blogger Paul, at 9:53 pm  

  • I have already commented in my own e-mail, but it was a delight to read this mastery of words and I liked the way you summed up the sense of leaving. On reflection now, it appears that it is both sad, yet satisfying to know we have gone through such difficult times together and come out as happy as Larries (plural of Larry I believe!) and had a lot of fun on the way! Best of luck with all your exams Paul and congrats again on receiving that scolarship...

    Jonah

    By Blogger Scotty, at 11:11 pm  

  • "congrats again on receiving that scolarship..."
    **huge smile** :D yep same here! congrads!!! I hate to say this ...but I tolled you so (O how good it felt to say that ;p)!

    That really was some e-mail paul!! you had me smiling just with your enthusiasm!!! :D Fabulous!

    By Blogger Adriana, at 8:31 pm  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger Adriana, at 8:35 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home